We had a great time on Friday December 6, 2013, when the vialab hosted the UOIT HCI Research Day. Nine prominent researchers who specialize in Human-Computer Interaction and Information Visualization, visited UOIT and gave presentations to students and faculty. It was a fun day of demos and presentations. The visitors included Pierre Dragicevic, Petra Isenberg and Fanny Chevalier from INRIA, France, Michelle Zhou and Jeffrey Nichols from IBM Research, USA, Niklas Elmqvist from Purdue University, USA, Mark Hancock from University of Waterloo, Canada, and Jian Zhao from the University of Toronto, Canada.
The talks were:
- Hybrid-Image Visualizations for Large Scale Viewing Environments by Petra Isenberg and Pierre Dragicevic,
- System U: Computational Discovery of Personality Traits from Social Media to Deliver Hyper-Personalized Experience by Michelle Zhou and Jeffrey Nichols,
- Action-as-Catalyst: The Role of Interaction for Big Data Analytics by Niklas Elmqvist,
- Satisfying Interactive Needs on Multi-Touch Surfaces by Mark Hancock,
- Visual Data Exploration: A Multi-Focus Approach by Jian Zhao, and
- On the Semantics of Passwords and their Security Impact by Rafael Veras Guimaraes.
Along with the vialab, the UOIT Health Informatics, Gamer, and Visual Computing labs hosted demos and tours. We were honoured and excited to host these visitors and share a day of demos, talks, and research discussions with them!